Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jehovah's Witnesses
Originally posted to firesofcreation.gaia.com on Jul 1st, 2007


The other day I was outside and a blazer pulls up. Inside, an African American couple asked if they could give me some materials. I thanked them and took their flyer inviting me to a Jehovah’s Witness conference of some sort. Before they said anything else, I said, “Now I have some things for you.” Both seemed interested and I pulled out a few of my poems, an earthpledge.net card and one more that caused a little stir. “Also, here’s my Jesus and Buddha card,” I said. Then I handed it to the woman and the guy sounded a little upset. “Buddha with Jesus?” Maybe he was shocked that anyone could integrate Jesus and Buddha in their philosophy of the world and have it be coherent. Hopefully these folks are open enough to check out the URL on my card:

http://homepage.mac.com/eliw/visionaries/visionaries.htm

After they took off I got a closer look at their flyer. The image of Jesus just didn’t speak to me. If they had an image of a black Christ, I’d be totally psyched to see blonde, white skinned, blue eyed Jesus conventions go out the door.

Seriously though, we gotta change the perceptions of Christians in the West who see Buddha as evil. WWJD? He’d probably grab a Buddha statue and hang it near a crucifix at the nearest church. Integrating JC with GB would ease antagonism between Christians who see eastern religions as Satanic.

No comments: